Sinister: Bands in Scotland

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Mon Jul 20 14:04:40 BST 1998

I'd just like to say I'd generally agree that most of these Scottish bands
are shite, Arab Strap and Mogwai have a couple of moments and show promise,
but the rest yeah, mainly pants. However, I'm just listening to the new
single by the second best band to come from Scotland/Portsmouth. The new
Beta Band single is fucking ace and it's called "Los Amigos del Beta
Banditos", it's completely great kind of laid back groovy stuff - maybe a
wee bit like the Rolling Stones on "Let it Bleed", not much P!O!P! on it, so
beware P!O!P! snobs, this isn't for you, although, having said that, it's
got 3 B sides and only 1 A side, so maybe that'll come in useful for belting
on about a few years down the line perhaps.

    Incidentally, the Beta Band play the venue in Edinburgh tomorrow night,
and are well worth going to see, cause they're better live - totally
different actually, more like Talking Heads on Stop Making Sense, and
normally I find live bands pretty shite really, but the Beta band I thought
were ace.

Cheers,
    Keith.

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***