Sinister: SNOB

Ian Turton buffalo at xxx.uk
Mon Jul 20 17:12:47 BST 1998

PJMiller wrote:

> SNOB: A snob is someone who belongs to or admires the higher social class in
> society, and despise people of a lower social class; used showing
> disapproval. Someone who believes that their own special tastes, interests,
> and abilities
> are superior to those of other people.
>
> No further comment is necessary, is it?

Yeah, it is. My dictionary is much older (and therefore *obviously* vastly
superior) to yours. Or anyone elses for that matter. Whilst on the subject, did
you know in Victorian times to say someone was 'naughty' was tantamount to
calling them evil ? No, my dictionary isn't that old. It's what I was told when
I was a nipper.

My interest in etymology is no better or worse than anyone else's interests.
See. I can do it.

Turt

Thanks PJ for not leaving the rest of my email in, thereby saving me from
looking like a double posh bastard. Ish.

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***