Sinister: Scottish Rock.

Jen Jones jjones at xxx.com
Tue Jul 21 23:45:09 BST 1998

Now, I am not worldly.  In fact, I have only ever been to Ontario Canada
and was only because it was 20 minutes from Detroit.  But I know that
some of the best pop music of the late 80's and early 90's came from the
British Isle and I believe most was of Scottish decent:

1) POOH STICKS:  My chihuahua is under the impression that Sweet Baby
James was written for him.  You see, when Linus was a wee little guy (
weighing only 3 pounds when I brought him home) I sang to him all the
time and "..who loves ya' pretty baby" was perfect.(if you sing to your
animals they have better self esteem).  I swear that he knows the 7"
'cus he starts running around when he sees the sleeve.

2) VASELINES:  Tell me that Frances couldn't get you outta your seat!
Dum-Dum was divinely inspired and yet no animals were sacraficed to
insure this vinyl gem was as flawless as this.  When most bands were
trying to deny their pop heritage this ensemble were defying it.  Only
love could tear 'em apart.  Bless them for sharing with us a vision of
pop ectasy.

3) TEENAGE FANCLUB:  Let's not judge by where they are but by where they
have been:
    flashback 1992:  TFC come to Detroit.  Opening are Superchuck on
their No Pocky  tour. I went not expecting much but left floating on the
yummiest pop cloud ever accumulated.  In the dehydrating times of
Soundgarden and Helmet, TFC was a tall, cool drink of water.  My heart
DID do flip-flops whenever they were near.
    fast-foward to 1994: In '94 I was able to meet them on the 13 tour.
Brendon O'Hare ( bless his heart) was just like a dream.  Norman was so
kind you could've eaten him up and been full forever.  I never really
for getting rid of Brendon-sure he was a loose cannon but I loved that
guy!  GranPrix was rewarding in ways I had forgottan possible.
    Reality check circa 1997: I wish, however, I would have stayed away
when they played here last summer.  Bless their hearts, Denver wasn't
receptive. For goodness sakes! it was free and nobody came.  Seeing them
up there playing to an empty hall singing Alcholiday was actually
depressing.  I hope that they find success in knowing at least they
touch this american, ya know?

and i must agree with Rich in regards to the BMX Bandits " Serious
Drugs".  Someday a boy will cut off a finger if I wanted ( i wouldn't
require it, of course, but the sentiment will be there)

Okay, post two accomplished, back to work. ( p.s. I'm gonna try to send
this with out all the nspb crap)

jen

. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***
.                        Nee, nee mun etc.