Sinister: 10 Reasons why Bernard Sumner is great

Barrett R ronbarrett at xxx.ie
Wed Jul 22 08:16:00 BST 1998

A few people have been a bit rude, if funny too, about the lovely Barney, so
here goes:

1    He was in Joy Division.  Too dark for many, myself included most of the
time, but anyone who appeared on the likes of "Atmosphere" and "Love Will
Tear Us Apart" is doing something right.

2    That Voice.  Not to everyone's taste it seems, but if you want
technically good vocals try Simply Red.  I prefer a bit of emotion, in the
same way that the slower version of "Seeing Other People" is great because
of and not in spite of the slightly off vocals.

3    Technique.  Best album of the eighties.  I know I'm the only person
alive who thinks this, but bloody sod yer.

4    True Faith.  "I feel so extraordinary" is the most uplifting line in a
song ever.  Great video too.

5    Electronic.  The album that started it all for me.  I quite liked music
up to this point, but this started the obsessiveness.  Some of it hasn't
dated well, but anyone who doesn't like "Get The Message" doesn't like
music.

6    World In Motion.  Saying it's the best footy record ever is like saying
Hale is funnier than Pace I know, but it is.

7    His guitar.  Tragically underused in New Order, but when it is the
results are fantastic.  See "Regret" or "Love vigilantes".

8    Thieves Like Us
9    Bizarre Love Triangle
10   I'll get me coat too.

Ronan
. *** B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at ***
.     *** http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html ***
.                        Nee, nee mun etc.