Sinister: The WHO (NBSC)

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu Jul 23 15:17:54 BST 1998

The WHO rule, and with that there's no doubt, mind you, I'm in a
>minority party who thinks they were completely great until about 1975,
where
>as other people seem to think they went shit after Pete Townshend started
>wearing boiler suits instead of suits. Mind you, I've got the albums and
>they haven't so I suppose I'm more qualified to talk about it. I love the
>WHO. I've got a funny interview when Pete's talking about competition for
>attention at concerts, amongst members of the W!H!O! and he's on about how
>him and Keith Moon essentially won the competition, John Entwistle didn't
>really enter the competition, and Roger Daltrey just lost. Aww, never mind.
>Still he was great in McVicar.

I've got that too, on the 30 years of maximum r'n'b video, real quality
viewing, specially tailored to meet the demands of the fan of the 70s
incarnation of the group, it says somewhere. I liked the WHO even more after
seeing that, it's true that they were the ultimate live act. They remind me
of those little machines at fairs when I was little, where you could put a
coin in and four mop topped frogs would suddenly leap into frantic jerky
action for a couple of minutes and then stop. Or was it Pinky and Perky?
Anyway, real pop music had never lived up to that early explosive exposure
to piggy pop at a formative age until I discovered the WHO on video. The
interviews are indeed hilarious, especially Roger pretending to remember WHO
was under the stage at the Monterey Festival, and Pete exposing Roger's
chummy on stage antics. I like Pete, he seems to think everything he's ever
done was crap, bless him. The later stuff's great too, boiler suit or no
boiler suit. I think the key to being able to enjoy the later stuff is in
learning to love Roger Daltry. The same goes for Led Zep, at first Robert
Plant strikes you as a complete prick, but you just have to GET OVER IT!
Another good thing about that video is that there's a girl in the audience
at Charlton football ground WHO decides to show everyone her bosoms, you can
freeze frame it and then go forward frame by frame, jiggle by jiggle.

As far as places go, Nottingham's not bad. Some of you may remember it from
the famous French film Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. That's more or
less what it's like for people with a lively imagination. It does indeed
play host to R!O!C!K! C!I!T!Y! and unless things have changed a lot over the
last few years, Saturday is R!O!C!K! night, so I think it would make an
ideal post gig venue. It was a French film, you know. Karel Reisz, from
Germany. Am I right? Sometimes I surprise even myself. McRagtag will know.

That Taxi Driver story: I heard the same thing, but with Springsteen playing
the part of Neil Diamond.

Peter

PS: I was lsitening to the World service this morning, a programme about the
composer Mussgorsky (?), and the presenter said thet he much preferred the
piano version of Pictures At An Exhibition, rather than the later orchestral
version by Ravel. Seeing as it was the BBC, he was very polite and said,
"that's only an opinion, although I must confess that it's one I hold rather
strongly". I thought that was very diplomatic of him. Perhaps we listees
should follow his example.

Och, the Pastels are shite. That's only an opinion, but I must confess that
it's one I hold rather strongly.

. >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
.     >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
.                      Nee, nee mun pish etc.