Sinister: Re: One Big Chunk/Leeds Date

Ed Mason emason at xxx.com
Thu Jul 23 20:07:16 BST 1998

P.J.Miller wrote
>I once saw this French film from
>Belgium, it was the scariest film I've ever seen, really good. It was called
>"The Vanishing". Does anybody know who the director is, or if it's available
>on video? I would like to scare the wits out of my "other half" with it.

It was directed by George Sluizer in 1988.  He also directed the Hollywood
remake about 5 years ago, which, if my memory serves me right, starred Jeff
Bridges, although I never saw it.  However, I have it on good authority
that it was awful, as seems to be the way with such remakes...

I recommended it (the original) to a friend who then promptly went to see
the remake and berated me for recommeding such tosh.  Without wanting to
give too much away, they substantially altered the ending, thereby removing
one of the factors which made it so shocking.  It is a great film, very
compelling, I don't know if it's available on video however. (It has been
on t.v. in the UK at least once).

J Errington wrote;
>Question 1:
>	My ubiquitous friend Adam went up to visit his (possibly ex) >girlfriend
>Charlie (AKA The Evil Pixie) a while back at Leeds Uni. He went around to
>the flat of one of her friends and she had a copy of Tigermilk! On vinyl!
>Which
>she actually played! The question is, is this person on the list by any
>chance.
>here's fingers crossed.

I'd have a good guess that this was (is) my friend Charlotte who managed to
get her mitts on possibly the only copy of Tigermilk to make its way to
Leeds, from Jumbo records.  She periodically threatens to give it to me,
even though she's a massive fan.  Which would of course earn her my ever
lasting love and gratitude...  She's not on the list, (am I the only person
from Leeds on the list?) but will definitely be at the gig.  When I read
about the Leeds date I got the most excited I'd been in a quite
considerable time and had to ring her straight away.  I'll ask her if she
has a friend called Charlie, otherwise known as the Evil Pixie.  Perhaps I
better not mention that bit.

The venue is an old-style music hall/theatre, all seated.  It used to host
that old BBC programme 'Old Time Music Hall' or some such, the older
listees may recall...They have various comedians, pantomines, etc but never
gigs, although having said that I notice that Baby Bird are also playing at
the end of September.

For post-gig partying you have 'Brighton Beach' at the Cockpit, a veritable
feast of indie/sixties/soul type shenanigans open till 4am, or 'The Cooker'
at the Underground, soul/funk/jazz type proceedings (till 2)...nearer the
time I could come up with some pre-gig suggestions? Unless anyone else has
any?

Looking forward to seeing you all there

Cheers
Ed
. >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
.     >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
.                      Nee, nee mun pish etc.