Sinister: far out and fishy

Richard Hutt harrypalmer66 at xxx.com
Sat Jul 25 00:20:43 BST 1998

Four Films About Love That End Happily, and How They Relate to Belle and
Sebastian,

or I Am Bored At Work.

A Matter of Life and Death
The Pickpocket
Trouble in Paradise
It Happened One Night

….and they relate to B&S because……if a love film is to end happily, it
risks being so intensely predictable that it loses your interest, indeed
becomes pointless. That's why so many films with happy endings are ao
gruelling. You can see it coming a mile off. The same is true of the
films above, and doubtless lots of the other films mentioned on this
topic. BUT the mark of a truly great film is that you and I can see and
feel the happy ending from the first frame….and not care, because the
story is told so beautifully, because it is a delight to watch these
characters in an inevitable dance.

And the same is true of perfect music, in my book. I know it is going to
deliver the goods, pander to my peccadilloes, indulge my weaknesses, and
resolve in the manner that I wish it would. B & S are a good story well
told. It barely matters that there are no new stories under the sun. Or
chords, or tunes, or new ways to do handclaps.

The other thing about a great film about love is that even as it moves
towards its inevitable end, it dances around many pitfalls, avoiding
becoming saccharine or dull by being witty, or clever, or a little mean.
Again, like Belle and Sebastian and how they waltz around, tempting
tweeness but never quite surrendering.

Of course I may be babbling, and the above may be naught but Friday
afternoon horseshit.

My other justification for continuing this one-way street of a topic,
which is really just an excuse for everyone to list their favourite
films - and there is nothing wrong with that if you ask me - is that
B & S are incredibly cinematic. I'm sure I'm not the first one to point
that out. Does anyone fancy a little international cultural
multi-coloured swapshop? I'll swap you a video rental idea for one of
yours. It's quicker than making a tape and there is no postage.

Old coots on the list - anyone around in the late 80's remember "Far Out
and Fishy" fanzine? More specifically, whatever happened to Chris Fish
of FOAF fame, late of Oxford? Any takers?

Thank you for enlivening the stolen moments of the work day.

Richard

. >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
.     >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
.                      Nee, nee mun pish etc.