Sinister: Where Were You Hiding When the Storm Broke?

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Sat Jul 25 11:34:38 BST 1998

Gary wrote:

>Now let me pluck this e-mail from sadness and shine a ray of light on it
>once more. My best day working at that golf club, was when this little
>oldish lady walked into the shop holding a CD, strange thing to bring to a
>golf club I thought. She walks straight up to me and say's, "I hear you're
>big fan of my son's band, he asked me to give you this". It's a signed DJ
>only promo of the Alarm's version of "Happy Christmas War is Over". It's
>dead rare now, cos it never got released over here cos the Gulf War broke
>out before they could release it. Oh and the day I got a phone call from
>Mike Peters booking the lessons and I thought it was my boss taking the
>piss, not uncommon for us to play phone pranks on each other, this one
>wasn't though, whopee. 87

If I may borrow a phrase....Gary - I have to meet you!

>Now i've thoroughly bored the arse of you, i'll go.

You certainly haven't bored me. Unfortunately I don't remember Mike's Ozzy
cut, but what I do remember about The Alarm is the insistence of their bass
player (?) on wearing a Wales football shirt for concerts. Not just any
Wales shirt, the one from the glory days of the Home International
Tournament, with snazzy stripes that kind of made the shape of the letter
"Y", as a tribute to Terry Yorath, I suppose. And the material was really
good, not like nowadays, I'm bloody sick of shiny material, it makes me want
to throw up. He had a kind of Pete Burns haircut. I had golf lessons once,
but I didn't stick at it for long. I now live in the famous Mr Olazabal's
home village, his father was greenkeeper. There's a little crazy golf course
just down the road, it seems to be where the local ruffians hang out though,
drinking beer and revving their mopeds. I'm sure if I went along they'd
think I was an undercover policeman.

To borrow another phrase ... now I've thoroughly bored the arse off you I'll
go.

Thank you,

Peter

PS: I had a look for that lost lyric, but I couldn't find it. I'd hazard a
guess at "big boy" though.
PPS: Festina....sheesh!

. >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
.     >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
.                      Nee, nee mun pish etc.