Sinister: volume is pleasant

Steven Jay Goldman sgold06 at xxx.edu
Wed Jul 29 03:45:55 BST 1998

> i was reading this article in some magazine, i think maybe a.p., but
> that's not important.
> it was about all the new things going on in ol' athens, ga. you
> know....neutral milk hotel, elf power, olivia tremor control...all those
> bands. but then it went into the history of athens.....something i lived
> through....and it brought back many good memories. of the music that is.
> i hate the town. bunch of fucking fratboys and people who think they're
> cooler than you.....and there's an athens way of talking. it's hard to
> describe it in words, but everything sounds like a question.

ROCK ON.  I've been a fan of the Athens scene from afar for quite a while,
after reading "Party Out of Bounds," a sorta history of the scene...

> wasn't pylon one of the best fucking bands ever?

AMEN.  "Gyrate" rocks my world!

> i dug out all my stuff. the pylon albums, the love tractor albums, the
> athens ga inside out comp., squares blot out the sun...all of it. i even
> started listening to my old rem stuff again which i hadn't listened to
> since i realized what a fucking waste "monster" was.

I also have all of that stuff (on vinyl, no less!), and since I just got
back from a five-day sojourn to my parents' and returned with my records
and turntable, I'm sure I'll be listening to them more now...

> anyone else had these songs and bands and albums as their middle and
> high school soundtracks? or is it a georgia thing?

Well, it was my high school soundtrack, but I lived in Ft. Lauderdale.
Does that count? ;P

--Steven

PS -- Hello to all after a bit of an absence!!

. >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
.     >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
.                      Nee, nee mun pish etc.