Sinister: RE: My god captain! He's de-lurked

Mark Crutch xav at xxx.uk
Fri Jul 31 14:46:00 BST 1998

------------------
>My friend Charlotte's a lefty, and very proud of _being_ Sinister instead
of
>just _feeling_ sinister like us poor dextrous people.  I still reckon
you're
>all in league with the devil, though ;)

Tell her to get lurking on alt.lefthanders then, where she'll meet a whole
host of similarly proud people (plus a couple of the obligatory pathetic
trolls). As for being in league with the devil - let's see; go to heaven,
get a cloud, work your way through the ranks like some McDonald's trainee
and eventually manage some wings and a harp. Or worse still, you make it
all the way to the top and come back as Paul Hogan or the bloke from
Highway to Heaven. Not too promising really.

Hell, on the other hand: full of murderers (and worse) but you're already
dead, so i would imagine that they're all sitting in a corner getting
depressed. Meanwhile there's all the bondage gear you could shake a cat at,
and all those people that were too busy having fun on a Sunday morning to
get themselves down to the local church. I think I'll go for the latter.

As you may have guessed, as well as feeling (and being) sinister, I am a
hopeless unbeliever - though I don't find it actually causes any pain, so
can survive quite adequately without being administered to by a minister or
two.

>> I'm even using left-handedness as the subject of my second novel (and
yes,

>Yes, but if you're going to plug yr website, it might be wise to actually
>give the URL as well ;)

Hmmm... it looks like someone unplugged their server just as my message was
going through, sending my sig plunging into the darkest depths of the back
of the sofa. As my email client is convinced it sent it out, I can only
guess that either it's lying, or it was trimmed off at some point, so on
the basis that it doesn't make it this time either, try the following:-

www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~xav

The link to the stories and novel is fairly obvious, and if any of you are
unsure whether or not to take the plunge and have a read, there are also a
selection of quotes from people who did, so you can get a feel for people's
opinions of my stuff.

>I'd like to read your poor unfortunate novel, so...

Well, I hope you enjoy it - but be warned, it's about 200,000 words long
and prints out at about a ream on single sided, default courier font from
most printers. Well worth it though, but then I would say that. I like to
think it's somewhere between Terry Pratchett and JRR Tolkien (funnier than
the latter, but a better plot (i.e. it has one!) than the former). Other
people have other ideas though, so check out the quotes.

>> Xav
>I thought it was Mark.  Could this be a cunning pseudonym?

Well it was more cunning in the past: on account of having a stupid surname
which is all too easy to track down if someone takes offence, experience
has shown me that a pseudonym can be useful, so when I got on the internet
I used the name of the "character" I play in my band, Xavier Moonchild &
The Rumpy Pumpy Lovesticks - hence Xav.

Recently, however, I've started using a PDA to access my mail, news, etc.,
and the damned thing insists on sending out my real name all the time.

>Bonjour et au revoir,

Vale et vale (I think - I told you, I haven't done Latin for 9 years,
still, sic biscitus disintegrat)

Xav (or Mark, or hairy, or whatever; it's only a label, it has no soul,
what do I care what you call me)

xav at compsoc.man.ac.uk
http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~xav
"It hath whirred into life"

. >>> B&S new LP worldwide release 7th September, tour news etc. at <<<
.     >>> http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/news.html <<<
.                      Nee, nee mun pish etc.