Sinister: Duckula, Dangermouse, & Close Lobsters

Mick McMick mick at xxx.com
Mon Jun 1 22:04:04 BST 1998

and then Henry wrote:
>     Dangermouse gets my vote, followed by Batfink, which I remember
> being really good but cannot in fact remember any details.

	Yeah, here in America, Nickelodeon (also the channel which aired Belle
& Sebastian episodes) showed both Dangermouse and Count Duckula. I was a
fervent admirer of both. I think if forced to choose, I'd say I liked
Dangermouse better. A friend of mine started a short-lived band called
Penfold's Revenge on the Chief. They only practiced twice for a show
that never happened. I think they wrote a song making fun of Rush
Limbaugh. Then there was a punk band that played here in Athens (Ohio)
thursday, called Penfold. I didn't go see them, however, so who knows if
they're good or not. Incidentally, a friend of mine and I are putting
together a tape of bands covering songs from cartoons, etc. and an
accompanying 'zine. Sort of like that "Saturday Morning Cartoons" comp
with the Ramones covering Spider Man, but this one will be good. Anyway,
the point of it is that a friend of mine (who's on the list, I think) is
in a band and they'll be covering the theme from Danger Mouse. I also
had this little fantasy in my head about Belle & Sebastian wanting to
join in & covering the theme to Belle & Sebastian. But I felt it was
silly to ask them to do a silly tape comp, plus I don't even remember
how the theme went. (shrug).
	On the Close Lobsters tip, they were a mid-80's band based in England I
think. They released some things on Fire Records, I think. Or at least,
that's what it's on in America. One of my favorite finds here was a tape
of one of their albums for a buck. Unfortunately the tape died =(  I
don't really think they sound like B&S, but they're quite nice & jangly.
I'd wager someone else on this list knows a lot more about them...

 /"\_/"\_/"\    Mick McMick - mick at indiepop.com - ICQ#5056758
 \         /    Sandcastle Records - sandcastlerecords at indiepop.com