Sinister: Duckula, Dangermouse, & (not many) Close Lobsters

Mark Smith mark.smith2 at xxx.uk
Tue Jun 2 18:58:12 BST 1998

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, DMC wrote:

> I seem to think that we're missing the point.

Shocking allegation for the sinister list...

> The cartoon B&S was on BBC.
> It was around the period of such highbrow cartoon series as Dogtanian & the
> Three Muskahounds, 80 Days Around the World and Ulysses. I always tired of
> Dangermouse, but never of such challenging cartoon series that were so
> close to the books. BBC kids programmes always outclassed ITV.

The appeal of Dangermouse was that it tested the limits of the genre of
cartoon animation: it never patronised or played it safe (eg the "custard
episode", or that one which was a spoof of "Fantastic Voyage" set in
Colonel K's body).  The dubbed Belgian cartoons which you mention took the
general idea of the novels upon which they were based, but only as a
jumping-off point for a series of linear, generic cartoon adventures.  I
don't really think "challenging" is the word.

Although the way that Dogtanian's nose shone red whenever he tried to talk
to Juliet, and it made that "boyoing!" noise was very cute, and I
empathise totally (apart from the boing thing).

Love,
Mark S.

PS - It's true, though, Bagpuss _did_ rock my preschool world.  And does
anyone remember Moschops...?