Sinister: Ulysses 31, Battle of the Planets, etc.

Mark Smith mark.smith2 at xxx.uk
Wed Jun 3 11:03:38 BST 1998

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Mark Iles wrote:

> I beg to differ. Ulysses 31 hardly used the novel as the basis for a linear
> derivative storyline. The characters were transposed into the 31st Century.
> Apart from having the same names and trying to get home, as
> Odysseus/Ulysses was, the storylines were good. And they certainly never
> gave the impression of being aimed at children.

I don't really think it's relevant to compare (the superb) Ulysses '31
with the likes of Dangermouse.  Coming from different eras they catered
for different stages in my development.  Dangermouse was broadcast 1981-83
(according to that "cream.tv" thing - cheers whoever it was - Rod?), which
would have made me 4 at the oldest (not counting any repeats although
they would have been '85 at the latest I reckon), and thus in my formative
years it was a great influence on me.

Ulysses '31 catered for the typical 8-year-old desire for robots, monsters
and space-ships, and took itself much more seriously than Dangermouse, in
a similar vein to "Thundercats"...  These (along with BOTP) were great at
the time, but due to their po-facedness just didn't leave as much of an
impression.

Ultimately it's just down to how old you were when these things were
broadcast as to how strongly you feel about particular series...

sarah wrote (enthusiastically!) :

>  Mark Smith (please let your middle name be Elijah!!) wrote...

unfortunately my parents were one letter out - my middle name is David.
:-)

love,
Mark D. Smith (-ah)

PS - "Their bodies will remain as lifeless... as stone" ... "father, oh
father"  etc etc.  Classic.