Sinister: Ulysses, Cities of Gold, Bananaman...

Mark Iles iles at xxx.uk
Wed Jun 3 16:40:06 BST 1998

>From: Mark Smith <mark.smith2 at xxx.uk>
>
>On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Mark Iles wrote:
>
>> I beg to differ. Ulysses 31 hardly used the novel as the basis for a linear
>> derivative storyline. The characters were transposed into the 31st Century.
>> Apart from having the same names and trying to get home, as
>> Odysseus/Ulysses was, the storylines were good. And they certainly never
>> gave the impression of being aimed at children.
>
>I don't really think it's relevant to compare (the superb) Ulysses '31
>with the likes of Dangermouse.  Coming from different eras they catered
>for different stages in my development.  Dangermouse was broadcast 1981-83

I'm sure it was on when I was in infants school, which I would have left
when I was about seven, in 1981. I remember seeing it for the first time
round a friend's house and being very impressed by it. Are you sure these
aren't the dates it was shown in the US, or something?

>(according to that "cream.tv" thing - cheers whoever it was - Rod?)

I must have missed this one. Could someone remind me of the URL...

>Ulysses '31 catered for the typical 8-year-old desire for robots, monsters
>and space-ships, and took itself much more seriously than Dangermouse, in
>a similar vein to "Thundercats"...  These (along with BOTP) were great at
>the time, but due to their po-facedness just didn't leave as much of an
>impression.

No, I always thought that Ulysses was quite different to Thundercats.
Thundercats were definitely in the He-Man style, although very good. While
Ulysses seemed to pay a lot more attention to detail with the
aforementioned backgrounds and music - very atmospheric. Shame about Nono,
that stupid jokey robot. For smart plotting you can't beat The Mysterious
Cities of Gold (one of my all-time fave cartoons).

>Ultimately it's just down to how old you were when these things were
>broadcast as to how strongly you feel about particular series...

True, I was a bit older when Ulysses was on...

>PS - "Their bodies will remain as lifeless... as stone" ... "father, oh
>father"  etc etc.  Classic.

I always found that dead spooky. I loved that programme. And weren't the
Gods mean bastards? He may have killed the cyclops, but it was in self
defence Your Honour! Ulysses, Ulyssee-ees, flying through all the
galaxiee-ees, in search of Earth, flying into the suuuun.
Ulysseee-eee-eee-eee-eees no one else can do the things you do....

>Bananaman yay!  13 Acacia Avenue!  "When Eric eats a banana!" (etc etc)

Cool! And the voices were by the Goodies, who I used to think were top when
i was little. Anyone remember the name of the alien baddy who looked a bit
like a Vogon?

>If anyone's getting sick of this whole cartoon thang, stop me oh-ho-ho
>stop me...

No way. I'm enjoying this.

                                Mark

Mark Iles,                              Tel: +44 (0113) 2065042
Imperial Cancer Research Fund,          Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183
Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory,
Ashley Wing,                            Email: iles at boreas.leeds.icnet.uk
St James's University Hospital,
Beckett Street,
Leeds,                                  "Libraries gave us power"
LS9 7TF                                 Manic Street Preachers
U.K.