Sinister: Ulysses, Cities of Gold, Bananaman...

Mark Smith mark.smith2 at xxx.uk
Wed Jun 3 17:11:16 BST 1998

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Mark Iles wrote:

> >(according to that "cream.tv" thing - cheers whoever it was - Rod?)
>
> I must have missed this one. Could someone remind me of the URL...

It's at http://tv.cream.org  but I must repeat Rod's caveat:  if you're
paying for the phone bill beware - or equally if you're likely to get
caught by your employers... ;-)

> Shame about Nono,
> that stupid jokey robot.

You can't dismiss Dangermouse as derivative and then harp on about the
superiority of a "futuristic" spaceships-and-aliens adventure with a jokey
robot side-kick....  Buck Rogers anyone?  'Lost in Space' for arse's sake!

> For smart plotting you can't beat The Mysterious
> Cities of Gold (one of my all-time fave cartoons).

Yep, absolutely with you on this one.  And the flying golden condor was
the best.  But possibly my best memory of this was the CBBC presenter at
the time, Phillip Schofield (for it was he!) singing along to the theme
tune one afternoon - I wonder whether his fellow actors in 'Joseph' or
'Dr. Doolittle' are aware of this classic performance and rib him about
it?

Oh, actually, maybe it was the theme to "80 days around the world" that he
sang along to, but anyway, you get the picture   :b

Yours in nostalgia wonderland,

Mark S.

PS - 	Did someone mention "Trapdoor"....?