Sinister: Fantastic Planet

ELIZABETH DAPLYN EDAPLYNR3N00297 at xxx.uk
Wed Jun 3 17:38:20 BST 1998

	Mick McMick wrote:
> 	Stranger yet, as a child I used to watch a program on USA called
> Night
> Flight. They showed lots of Avant Garde stuff. The strangest thing I
> ever saw on it was this odd French animation entitled Fantastic Planet.
That is a weird old film.  They showed it on Channel 4 a while back in one
of those ungodly-hour-of-the-morning slots they reserve for wacky stuff.
Speaking of which, they showed "The Wings of Honneamise" on BBC2 the other
night, for all those manga/anime fans out there who have any idea what I'm
talking about.
Anyway, "Fantastic Planet": the wee bloke's attempts to escape from his
kindly but mildly bratty alien owner are engrossing.  That tracking-device
collar is scary too.
> I still haven't seen it a second time. It's very similar-looking to
> Light Years, which I saw back then as well. Another interesting thing I
> saw on it was my first ever Anime, and probably the best animated movie
> ever done
Nah nah nah, "Battle Angel Alita" is my favourite anime.  In the wider
animation genre "The Secret of Nimh" has to rank up there pretty high too.
> (it puts everything Disney has done to shame), Nausicaa.
>>>>>>
> The same director also did a wonderful
> piece called Laputa: Castle in the Sky,
What, Laputa as in "Gulliver's Travels"?  Gosh, how literary.

	Liz.