Sinister: The goodbye makes the journey harder still/Another pearl, another gannet: Homemade tape/Trees/Partridge/Honey

Martin Conneely Martin_Conneely at finance.irlgov.ie
Thu Jun 4 10:02:31 BST 1998

1.   "sezah" <haras at eisa.net.au wrote:
<<these
past few days i have had stuartm counting "1,2,3,4.." (like at the beginning
of mayfly) in my head, with the result that i have been marching around town
everywhere in time to his counting!! and no matter how hard i try, i cannot
break the rhythm>>

How about intensive listening to the end of "Modern Rock Song" where SM counts
it out as 4, 3, 2, 1 [or is it some other song from the radio sessions]?  Or
would that lead to backward marching?

2. Andre Vieira <alerche at ibm.net wrote:

<<The State I am In"...  I downloaded the first 50 seconds of the song one
night through the
Tweenet site..., some of the B&S songs I like to sing along the most are from
that
album.  "How so?", you may ask.  Well, let's take "The State I am In" as an
example.  The whole song has more or less the same meter, so I just sing
the whole thing to the melody of the part available through the net....I do the
same
thing to "She's Losing It", "You're Just [list of songs].... even though I have
never heard a single second
of either one.  Pretty sad, huh?>>

No.  If you recorded all that, it could be a way to get around the Tigermilk
copyright problem.  What a tape it would make, especially if recorded on a
homemade tape of the kind envisaged by Mr Hopkins.

3.  A very long shot.  There was a band called Trees which released at least
two LPs on CBS, probably in the early 1970s.  Their female lead singer had
(maybe still has) an absolutely beautiful voice and one of the LPs was called
"The Garden of Jane Delawney".  Searching the web for "Trees" has been very
interesting and educational, as can be imagined, but hasn't given me any info
on the band.  Has anybody heard of them or know if any of their material is
still available?

4.  Thanks to those who recommended Alan Partridge.  The TV guides would not
have led me to watch it and, with the end of "Killer Net", there's such a gap
in my life.  (In my next life I'll try to get to college in Brighton - great
accommodation and term assignments consisting of simulating electric chair
usage with Teenage FC playing in the background seems not too onerous.)   And
Partridge even featured about 3 seconds each of China Crisis and Steeleye Span
(ask your grandparents).
5.  A message this long should ensure that PaulHoney doesn't send me to the
corner on his return.  It's going to be a crowded corner.

Martin C.