Sinister: CBBC mascots

ELIZABETH DAPLYN EDAPLYNR3N00297 at xxx.uk
Thu Jun 4 11:51:53 BST 1998

> Reply To: 	KATE ANDERSON, who wrote some other stuff, then...
>
> also, was i watching some version of children's bbc that only royston
> (?) gets, or was there a mascot called "bobby the banana"? please
> help. no one else believes me
Ah, the CBBC *mascots*.  Who can forget Gordon the Gopher or, indeed, Bobby
the Banana...?  Well, me, for one, until Kate jogged my failing
memory.
A penchant for alliteration and animate fruit (except bananas aren't really
fruit, as any biologist will tell you) led to this bizarre facet of BBC
children's
TV while it was still resident in *The Broom Cupboard* and was helmed by
Philip Schofield (pre-Coat of Many Colours), Simon Parkin (pre-working in
McDonald's, probably) and the like.
Eminently ignorable.

My fingertips hurt.  I spent a while last night learning the chords to more
B&S songs, and my bastard steel-strung acoustic has decided to hurt me
for inflicting bad playing on it.  Ho hum.