Sinister: Bob Dorough/Schoolhouse Rock et al.

Bassler basslerp at xxx.edu
Thu Jun 4 16:40:54 BST 1998

Saw Kate's questions "3 is a Magic Number" & the subsequent response
about "Multiplication Rock" and thought I'd throw in a bit more
illumination on the subject.  "Multiplication Rock" is 1 of 4 or 5
parts of "Schoolhouse Rock", a series of cartoons originally shown on ABC in
America in the '70's, and are now embraced, for better or worse,
by American twentysomethings.  The principal songwriter/contributor
was Bob Dorough, truly one of the coolest people ever to grace God's
green earth.  What most Schoolhouse Rock fans generally don't know is that
Dorough's career spans back to the 50's (check out his recently released
CD "Devil May Care" from like '59), recorded a couple of songs with
Gil Evans & Miles, and just recently released a great new album on Blue
Note.  Seems to me that Dorough would be right up the alley of a lot
of B&S fans ... in a similiar vein, there's Blossom Dearie (she sang
on "Figure Eight", "Unpack Your Adjectives", etc) ... she's still
going, as well, and is just as amazing.

A few URL's to check out are:
www.angelfire.com/ny/blossomdearie
genxtvland.simplenet.com/SchoolHouseRock/
polyholiday.com/guide/D/dorough.html
polyholiday.com/guide/V/science.html

And while I'm posting for once, had to announce that thanks to a kind
soul on the list, I finally got a tape copy of "Tigermilk".
Truly awesome ... thanks for spreading the gospel ... me can't wait for the
new stuff. Now, back to the shadows ...

RPB