Sinister: Sinister Bear and Rainbo Bright

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Thu Jun 4 23:09:44 BST 1998

> Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:46:39 gmt0bst
> From: "Henry" <MFKX7HVB at xxx.uk>
> Subject: Sinister: cringe...
>
> Here's my lot on the cartoon thread:
> (Pigeon street, YES!  "Long distance Clara" etc. classic.)
>
>     Nobody's mentioned the Carebears, sure they were terrible, but I
> can't think of all these other cartoons without thinking of them.
> When we used to go to the video store my sister always wanted a
> carebears video and I wanted a superman film.

OK.  I can say something about it.  I remember seeing the 1st movie in the
theater when I was 9.  I was thrilled because that was the first time I had
ever been abandoned by any parental authority (my friend's parents were in
charge of us that day which explains why) to go see a movie.  I remember
enjoying the movie, but halfway through, I bit my tongue and drew blood as
I was having some pop corn.  I remember that movie being played one
Thanksgiving afternoon on TV and out of nostalgia, I was a bit curious to
see it (I was 14 at the time), but I got bored and wandered off pretty
quickly.  I can't tell you a thing about the plot.  I think they were
battling something evil.  Aren't they always?

I got hit by a wave of nostalgia just yesterday when I went into a clothes
store and they had Strawberry Shortcake doll t-shirts.  Everyone had the
doll when I was in kindergarten and bring her to show and tell.  Yes,
everyone had seen one, but I brought mine, too!

The smurfs are my favorites.  On any day of the week, my mom had to drag me
out of bed to go to school, but I specifically asked her to wake me up at
7:30 on Saturdays to see that show.  Go figure.  I miss the days of
stuffing my face with breakfast cereals and chocolate milk and watching
cartoons I wouldn't dare think to see these days.

Oh, I have to ask this for any Aussies on the list:  What the hell is the
deal with the Bananas in Pajamas show?  Or, as my friend likes to call it,
"Dildos in Tuxedos."  I work for a tv station where I run it every morning
and their demenor is reminiscent of Terrence and Phillip on the Southpark
show.  It's one of the goofiest things I've ever seen, and I have to wonder
why Australia hasn't received the recognition it rightly deserves for being
the producer of the greatest soaps and children's shows on earth.

s.s.