Sinister: Record Breakers

ELIZABETH DAPLYN EDAPLYNR3N00297 at xxx.uk
Tue Jun 9 13:28:15 BST 1998

	The subject refers to me, myself and I.
For lo, on Sunday I took part in an attempt to break the record for the
world's largest orchestra:
	So I drove down to Ashford with some other intrepid musicians,
waited in a queue for parking for aaaaages, got sorted with some sheet music
and sat down to await the call to arms.
	Christ, how many 5-year old recorder players and mini violinists can
there _be_ in Kent?  All confused about where to stand and needing their
music rescued from the evil clutches of the wild Kentish wind every 10
seconds.
	Due to the bizarre weather, I got a sunburnt nose and then
simultaneously drowned and whiplashed by the wind and rain.
	Anyway, after an hour or so of rehearsing, we actually played the
piece (specially composed for the occasion and not much cop, frankly.
"Music for Multitudes"?  Sheesh...).  9 minutes long, and the heroic
conductor managed to keep everyone together by way of being 20ft up in the
air on a scaffold and waving his arms in increasingly large circles for beat
indications.
	We did it!  Yay!  2212 players (beating the record of 2049).  I've
got a nice certificate and everything...
	Ecch, and then I had to hang around for another hour to play with my
windband in the VIP tent.  Never mind, it was a good day.

	I just thought you should know, see...

          ByeBye,
                      Liz.

Love without hope, as when the young bird-catcher
Swept off his tall hat to the Squire's own daughter,
So let the imprisoned larks escape and fly
Singing about her head, as she rode by.

                                                          Robert Graves