Sinister: Edinburgh nights!

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Tue Jun 9 17:19:18 BST 1998

>Hello out there!
>
>I've just joined the elite list of B&S fans and was wondering if any of you
>came from Edinburgh where I believe the list began.   I'm going to
Edinburgh
>Uni in October and wanted to find out if anyone knows any cool venues or
music
>shops etc.
>

>Cheers,
>
>Rob

Hello I live in Edinburgh, come and meet up with us sometime. Perhaps we'll
arrange a going to the pub thing soon, maybe even Dave (Roddney) will come.
I'm sure Mr.Laird will be the first to point out that you should come to the
Egg (that of course would be if I hadn't just said it there). Plenty of
music shops, venues, well I'm sure you'll get to see the new improved
Potterrow union when it opens for freshers week.

    Unfortunately however I'm not sure that the new potterrow will allows
student involvment quite as much as before, however this is as maybe, so if
you're interested in this sort of thing you may want to join and you'll get
involved with the clubs that are run and the bands that are put on and
stuff. In the past we've had such incredible charttopping bands as the Paris
Angels, the Fieldmice, Catherine Wheel etc. As you can see, the bands are
mainly shit, but that's about to change as they get an outside promoter in
to do stuff, as per the QM in Glasgow, and hopefully the improved size of
venue ought to help that.

    Incidentally, when the original Potterrow building (amusingly called,
the Nelson Mandela centre - we refused a motion to change it to the Jimi
Hendrix centre a few years ago) was knocked up in the early 70's it was
envisaged that it would be an amazing concert venue (part of it's under a
huge dome), however, they made to dome of some weird perspex material which
melts in the event of a fire showering everyone with molten plastic and
plying them with carcinogenic fumes, so as a result, the fire limit under
the dome turned out to be 3. Hence not much in the way of gigs.

Cheers,
    Keith.