Sinister: pisser

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Fri Jun 12 04:14:58 BST 1998

> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:21:49 +0100
> From: "J.B.Hunt" <JOA97JBH at xxx.uk>
> Subject: Sinister: being happy, being dirty
>
> Hey hey!
> Hey!
>
> This is only my third post in nine months but I thought I should get
> it in before I go home for a while. Today was my final exam, so I'm
> scampering to the countryside to chew straw and wear a hat and sit
> around in sandals. Till September.
>
> Whycliffe says it better than me.
>
> What I was wondering was... is there anyone out there who would like
> to form a band? I've been writing songs for a while, and I've had a
> bash at playing in groups before, but it always seems to end up with
> me standing cross-legged, struggling with the three chords to
> Jailbird while an engineering student wrangles, bug-eyed, to get a
> solo out of a very expensive guitar (yeh man, I'm stung).

It's so bad that everyone with similar musical interests to me always live
somewhere else.  Damnit.

But don't you see that playing in bands that what you describe is truly the
backbone of rock?  Not that it's populated by engineers or that would be
scary, but people who get together for the hell of it and jam!  Rock music
is the only form of entertainment where you can be a bad singer or not know
your instrument and yet are still considered good.  Nobody gives a damn
about proficiency as long as you rock.  people in this town that I'm in
have completely forgotten that.  to them, it's all about demo tapes and who
you  know.  They've completely forgotten the idea of getting people
together for the hell of it because Austin is becoming a place where too
much is at stake.  I remember reading a biography on the Smiths and was
amused to learn that Johnny Marr went several years without owning an amp.
Here, everyone has in-home recording studios, a CD release on their own
label, and looks strictly at your work references.  They don't even want to
waste their time auditoning someone they've never heard of to join a line
up.  They're going right for the throat as far as success is concerned, but
they overlook the most important things such as talent, ideas, and having
fun.  I don't know if it's like that everywhere, but it makes me sick that
many people have forgotten what it is to be a performer and want to go
strictly for the juggular.  yeah, I admit I want the same, but as far as
I'm concerned, I want to have a playlist of many songs and try them out
before and audience and then I'll rush to a studio.  who doesn't want
success?  It sucks to be kicking around in front of half interested
audiences, but really, I'd rather earn my respect than have it earned for
me by MTV and then be a trivia question in a bar as "this one hit-wonder
wrote..." several years on.  Luckily, I have been doing that and it feels
good that people ask me what I'm doing or when I'm playing just because
they want to.

s.s.