Sinister: re: Salako

andrew dean koogydelbbog at xxx.com
Fri Jun 12 19:42:10 BST 1998

katrina talking about salako:

>There is also a chance to catch James from the band live on the air
>tomorrow (Thursday, June 11th) at the end of BBC Radio One's Evening
>Session during the Live Music Update (8.30pm), so all of you who met
>James at the London Belle and Sebastian picnics can hear his first bit
>of promo ... and giggle!

well, yes, giggle i did. and then worry about whether that was the
wisest thing for him to do. for those of you that didn't hear it (and
even if you were listening to the radio at the time you'd've had trouble
cos it was only a few seconds long) he started going on about how they
are influenced not only by the music that they hear but by everything
around them, the crickets, the foxes, the little birdy wirdies, it quite
reminded me of keith. the first two words that came to my mind, well,
one of them was 'hippy'. the phrase 'career suicide' sprang to mind too
having lived through the music press' savaging of the whole sarah
records catalogue as fey and, therefore, worthless. their loss.

(um, the title 're-inventing punctuation' also sounds a lot like
're-inventing penicillin', a track from sarah 83 by the sugargliders.
what me, anal?)

musically though, if that was salako they were playing in the background
during the piece (which, like i say, was criminally short), then they
sounded great.

andy

btw, that lamppost that james climbed up so valiantly on the top of
primrose hill at the picnic (photo in the archive, the one that looks a
lot like that famous one of american soldiers raising the flag on iwa
jima (spelling?)), i'm pretty sure the very same post is the one in the
advert for sky movies that's airing currently, the one with odd people
reciting lines from films, specifically the bit with the old woman
saying 'show me the money'.

re: scotland. it's del amitri i feel sorry for. whereas all the songs
recorded by the other countries in the world cup (apart from usa and
iran who don't apparently have world cup singles available) tend towards
the victorious, scotland seems to have adopted the cautious approach
with 'don't come home too soon'. and after the other day that doesn't
look like happening. i wonder if they'll shoot boyd when he returns to
scotland like they did to that colombian? or will he get to star in a
pizza ad?

i'm joking, of course. don't hate me. some of my best friends are
scottish. um, that's a lie actually - i don't have any friends.

football highlight so far has been the way that itv abbreviates the team
names to 3 letters for its on-screen captions so morocco vs norway the
other day became MOR vs NOR. looking forward to seeing MOR vs ROM. and
SCO vs CRO.

i have austria in the office sweepstake. 8(

got 7 copies of the friday review section with my guardian this morning.
how queer...

will see some of you at the social tonight.