Sinister: Football

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Sat Jun 13 12:18:36 BST 1998

>    Darren Jackson was on the telly yesterday (who's a Scotland player)
>pointing out that maybe it'd have been a draw if Boydy hadn't been so fat -
>which I thought was good to at least have a laugh about the game, we got
>beaten by the world champions - no bloody surprise there. What worries me
is
>that it looks like Morocco are a brilliant team. Yes it looks like Scotland
>will not progress to the second round, still Adrian's point about us being
>bollocks doesn't really stand, in a country of about 6 million people, we
do
>very well to even qualify - and your team's shit... by the way.

The Spanish TV expert kept going on about Scotland's lack of skill and
ability - as if that matters! He obviously fails to grasp a very basic piece
of Scottish wisdom, a phrase I heard several hundred times when I wwent to
see Scotland against Italy at Ibrox - quite simply, these fancy teams from
exotic places "don't like it up 'em". Brazil certainly seemed uncomfortable
with it up 'em the other day.

I'm looking forward to Holland - Belgium tonight.

The other great thing about the World Cup is that the atmosphere is highly
reminiscent of international It's A Knockout, complete with airhorns.

And I'd just like to reassure Anna(?) - it doesn't depend on nationalistic
fervour, far from it. I like football, I like the World Cup, but I'm in no
way nationalistic. My irrational love of the Style Council made sure I stood
up proud and declared myself Internationalist. Nationalism's pish. oooh -
bit of politices there. Speaking of which, I was amazed to see bloody Ben
Elton still on telly. I really do think he should stand aside and make way
for some bright young talent, such as our very own Dave.

>ps: London list people, some of us are out for a night out in Glasgow this
>weekend, so I hereby declare a competition to see who can have the most
fun.
>Reports on Monday morning please.

My money's on the Glasgow mob. Unless the Londoners get their Kerplunks out.

Elisabeth from Canada can say the word "Genevieve" without making it sound
like a Rick Wakeman b-side.

Peter