Sinister: Re: sinister-digest V2 #208

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Sun Jun 14 22:46:38 BST 1998

> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 20:36:21 +0100
> From: "jon g." <jon.g at xxx.com>
> Subject: Sinister: The WiderThe Wider Issues Of The Day
>
> Hey Kids!
>
> Exams are almost nearly over, so expect an overdose of kids-tv related
> postings in about a week's time.
>
> Ok, currently worrying jon g. and bethey:
> * The new album by B&S will be here in the future.

Ok.  I'm writing this down:  The new album is B.S.

> * Having become totally obsessed with the afore mentioned 'pop group',
for
> example getting really excited when Wrong Love was played on the radio,
how
> are we going to cope with 10+ new tracks?

I don't know.  Radio needs to vary it's format and even though we all love
Semisonic, we must learn to let go.

> * Will we have to limit ourselves to 1 track per week?

That's how most radio stations program themselves and if it works for
them....

> * Maybe buy it on CD as well as vinyl and use intro play to gradually
> introduce the tracks to our minds.

Buy it on vinyl.  Play it backwards for a while.  Then, after being
introduced to the seamier devil worshipping side of the band, you can then
let the shock of hearing charming good songs filter through when you decide
to play it forwards.  Watch the fun as your parents come running into your
room and tell you to quit listening to that album and ask you where in the
hell you put that new album they bought you last week and why you aren't
listening to fine, upstanding songs like that.

> * In short, it's going to be too darn exciting for some of us (well, me).
> What am I going to do?

Do like I do.

Hmm.  I'm trying to figure out what exactly it is I do, but I'll let you
know.

> obsessed!).  Apparently, they don't like playing live, which is nice.
Then
> the bloke from the band said that he was listening to the Sound Of Music
> soundtrack a lot at the moment, which granted him instant credability
with
> myself, as it is a great film, as I'm sure you'll agree.  Then he said
most
> of his influences were stuff he found when walking around, like the sky.
He
> mentioned foxes, which was also very exciting.  I'll shut up now.

I'm happy that there are pop bands out there that admit they listen to that
sort of stuff and not turn their nose up at it because they are serious
rock musicians.

So, for the most part, I don't know much about Jeepster.  Are they a new
label?  Are they strictly in for cool indie bands that only get play on US
college stations like Matador?  I'm looking for an equivalent.  the website
isn't exactly up and running to give a full run down of what they're like.

Can I send a demo?  Just kidding....

> Oh yeah, Aya wrote:
> <deleted>
>
> Wow.  Yet more multi-lingual, yet indecipherable communication.

Hmm.  All the dollar signs among indecipherable speak?  Looks like standard
bureaucratese to me.  Let me translate:

"We are spending more money just so we can make more money.  Fill out this
form and attach a $35 processing fee so we can send you the actual form you
need to fill out."

> Right.  Well.
>
> Yeah.
>
> Wherever I go, I hear the claps in Lazy Line Painter Jane.  Is this just
me?

I hear the sound of one hand clapping everytime I hear "The state I am in".
 God knows I've been waiting for it all my life.