Sinister: Monday morning miscellany

Kevan Cooke kcooke at xxx.uk
Mon Jun 15 09:58:00 BST 1998

> Apro pos of something a while back, rum goes very nicely with anything
> tropical in theme - pineapple, coconut, umbrellas, fruit on sticks.

Absolutely.  Also try spiced rum neat with ice.  The yankophobes out there who
find Coke/Pepsi unacceptably American should try KwikSave's own brand cola.  It
only costs three pence for two litres and health risks have not been proven.

> Ooh ze Serge. I want to buy Serge. But no-one will tell me where to
> start!!! where do i start!? and don't say with a #900 quid box set, else
> i will have to shoot you!

The three compilations released a couple of years ago cover Serge's career from
jazz beginnings to 60s pop genius (Du Jazz dans le Ravin, Coleur Cafe, and Comic
Strip).

His later stuff is all readily available, and some of the best things he did in
the seventies and eighties were the records he wrote for other people - Jane
Birkin, Brigitte Bardot, Isabelle Adjani and Catherine Deneuve spring to mind.

> Then the bloke from the band said that he was listening to the Sound Of Music
> soundtrack a lot at the moment, which granted him instant credibility with
> myself, as it is a great film, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Bizarrely I own the soundtrack but have never seen the film.  When I lived in
Manchester I used to play "Climb Every Mountain" very loud from time to time to
piss off my Neanderthal neighbour (who was into doing structural damage with
bass speakers at 4am).

> i noticed on CDZONE (UK) and some other
> web-based cd ordering org. that the B&S release
> "MODERN ROCK SONGS" is out and able to be ordered.

It appeared a while ago, I got all excited and (impulsive as I am) ordered it
along with a couple of other things.  The release date on the site has been put
back by a week every week ever since, and now it looks like they're not sending
me the other things I ordered until the B&S single is released - Grrrr.

> I'm also wondering if all you listees have a somewhat pro-Scotland/anti-London
> stance. Would it be the same if B&S came from Finchley?

I suspect the pro-Scotland bias is based on the fact that many of the listees
are Scottish, I could be wrong.  My brother lives in Finchley by the way, just
round the corner from Sporty Spice.

> Wherever I go, I hear the claps in Lazy Line Painter Jane.  Is this just
me?

I hear them too.

Kevan