Sinister: lakes/cones

debbie debbie.prior at xxx.com
Mon Jun 15 15:52:31 BST 1998

Bethey wrote:
>>NEVER go to the Lake District with yer mates

>OK, something of a coincidence here, but this kind of hit me on the head
by
>its relevance.  I have just this week arranged to go youth hostelling over
>the summer with some friends in the Lake District.  how funny yet not.  it
>can't be that bad.

don't worry, it's not *that* bad, its just that we happened to be about 6
miles from any sort of civilization and also had to cope with bucket loads
of sexual tension. and not enough beds.
but i'm sure you'll have an ace time anyway.

incidentally, the nearest place was called Howtown, which struck me as the
name of a place you'd find in a Richard Scarry book (eg. 'Busytown'),
although where they get of calling it a town i don't know: it consisted of
a small hotel. and a postbox. AND NOTHING ELSE. and we got stopped by a mad
raving farmer whilst trying to steal a cone. was v. bad.

Its funny how you can nick a cone in broad daylight from right beside the
police station in the town nearby me, but try and get one from the middle
of nowhere on a dirt track halfway up a hill in the dark and you get
accosted by a lunatic farmer with a wholly unintelligible accent. bah.

oh, and the more observant of you may have noticed that i am no longer
living under the pseudonym of 'Alan'. just thought i'd point that out...

love,
debbie xxx