Sinister: Rialto

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Tue Jun 16 13:47:39 BST 1998

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Rod Begbie wrote:

> <double takes>
>
> Rialto album?!?  I thought they were just preparing to release Monday
> Morning 5:15 for the umpteenth time, just on a different label now?
> Wossit called?

Rialto got dropped by East West Records less than a week before their
album was due out, so inevitably by that time a lot of copies had been
pressed. Some of these are now available "on import", on the basis that
they weren't dropped by East West in some other countries. The fact that
these imports are available for the price of a normal album makes me
doubt if they are in fact imports... The band are going to release a remix
of Monday Morning 5.19 next month, with at least one album track on the
B-side I believe, followed by the proper release of their eponymous album
shortly after.

Actually I saw Rialto last night, and they were excellent. They were
playing at Trinity College May Ball (yeah yeah, I know, this is the one
time of year when us Cambridge students actually live up to our stereotype
as extravagent, opulent types. I mean, prints of Monet paintings, and
piped classical music, in the Portaloos? Although there aren't many
chances in your lifetime to stand in beautiful surroundings, eating
oysters, drinking vintage wine, watching a massive firework display... It
might be elitist and poncey or whatever, but it's a bloody good night!).
Given that it was only a college gig, you might have expected them to ease
off a bit, not try particularly hard, and just be there for the money; but
they really went for it, and we even got a moshpit going in the marquee,
in dinner jackets. If you get the chance to see them, I would highly
recommend it.

Of course, one problem with going to a Cambridge May Ball (apart from the
price...) is that they don't finish until 6am. So I'm off to go back to
bed.

The Tired Git

.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?