Sinister: nationalism

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Tue Jun 16 22:35:42 BST 1998

> it, it's the taking part. Most people up here hate England and
> especially in
> footballing terms, I'm not one of them.

one of the biggest things i hated about scotland, and the one maybe most to
blame for making me move was the nationalist fervour inherent in too many of
the people. the attitudes used to make me sick, and still do. nationalism is
a dreadful trait to have... i mean, you can be 'proud' of your country of
birth or whatever, and in many respects i am 'proud' to be scottish, but
hey, as the man kevin Rowland said, 'my national pride is a personal pride'.
It's the same in england sometimes, although never as day to day. It's just
that sport brings it all out. Sport should be outlawed, or at least national
team sports. That's why professional sport is so much better; it's about
teams of people sponsored by companies, and although you can get hateful
about corporations, people on the whole tend not to. I can't imagine anyone
in my class in school going 'oh i HATE that Benesto team, bastards...' and
not just because they wouldn't get interested in cycling. I hate the world
cup not because i have little interest in soccer but because of the dreadful
attitudes it brings out in people, and because it encourages those
nationalist tendencies in the youth, who by rights we should be educating to
be more tolerant. Or am i just an idiot. Don't answer that one...

b&s content? bugger all. i start to doubt that another record will ever
appear...

od-ing on the peloton,

the duke

.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?