Sinister: football nationalism

Mark Iles iles at xxx.uk
Wed Jun 17 14:31:54 BST 1998

The Duke offered these words of wisdom:

>I hate the world
>cup not because i have little interest in soccer but because of the dreadful
>attitudes it brings out in people, and because it encourages those
>nationalist tendencies in the youth, who by rights we should be educating to
>be more tolerant. Or am i just an idiot. Don't answer that one...

Did anyone else see the Sun's reporting of the riots started by English
football fans? They acted all shocked and upset by the 'disgusting'
behaviour, despite their rag usually being filled with the kind of racist
bile that encourages this kind of behaviour. I don't doubt that they were
busy slagging off the Tunisians in print the day before, while praising
'our boys' to the hilt...

				Mark

Mark Iles,                              Tel: +44 (0113) 2065042
Imperial Cancer Research Fund,          Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183
Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory,
Ashley Wing,                            Email: iles at boreas.leeds.icnet.uk
St James's University Hospital,
Beckett Street,
Leeds,                                  "Libraries gave us power"
LS9 7TF                                 Manic Street Preachers
U.K.
.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?