Sinister: Talking through their b-sides

Kevan Cooke kcooke at xxx.uk
Fri Jun 19 10:56:00 BST 1998

I hadn't heard about this new ruling on what constitutes a single.

Are these sort of rulings something that just happens in the UK?

If so then for the benefit of those outside the UK these spurious
rulings are made by the people who compile our music charts.  Record
companies then pretty much have to comply if they want their releases
to get listed in the charts - and most do.

The death knell for vinyl was sounded in the UK when they made a similar
ruling about the maximum number of formats that could be counted towards
a single's sales and, if I remember rightly, there was a rule introduced
around the start of the eighties to stop record companies giving away weird
and wonderful free gifts with records in order to boost sales.

None of these rules could really be said to have enhanced pop music.

Kevan

.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?