Sinister: Immigration

Birjinder Anant bsanant at xxx.com
Sat Jun 20 01:17:19 BST 1998

Tara Widmer said:
> but there is *so* much more to this than just bigoted and
>ignorant Americans...anyway a music mailing list is hardly the place
>go into immigration issues

Yeah, but not much more.  The immigration legislation of recent years in
the US is just political manipulation by leaders in order to gain
power...in this case, they're working on people's xenophobia.  A
proposition in California a few years ago (unfortunately, it passed, but
fortunately it's been blocked in court)  Prop. 187, gave school teachers
and employers the right to report anyone they _suspected_ of being an
illegal (*The granting of legal immigrant status is really arbitrary)
immigrant...meaning based on looks, which is where it all becomes
overtly racist. It was aimed at a fear of Mexican immigration into
California.  They cleverly masked it as an economic issue, but if you
actually looked at the facts, it turned out that illegal immigrants put
money into the US, since they have taxes withheld, but cannot file tax
returns to get any of it back.  The proposition served its purpose
though, it helped the governor get re-elected.
 Anyway, sorry to anyone who was bored by this, but if anyone has any
questions, feel free to email me.

Long live the music.

Oh also, I'm visiting San Diego for 2 weeks, and if anyone knows any
good record stores around the area, please email me.  I went to Off the
Record in Hillcrest...it was nice, but didn't have a lot of what I was
looking for.

Take care,
Birjinder

.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?