Sinister: Gospel, Pulp, and a message for The Duke

Carrick C Blair carrick44 at xxx.com
Sat Jun 20 03:52:31 BST 1998

First off, this was the most pleasant sounding message I've received in a
long time.

Neil wrote:

>7/8ths of B&S are playing at Hyndland Church on Hyndland Road. It's an
hour-long >singing sort of affair, where the band will be playing gospel
and spiritually sort of
>stuff, plus a little bit of pop, and the congregation all sing along.

I hope they do "I am a Pilgrim" a la the Byrds.....

Which reminds of a rather nice moment I had a few months back.
Four people dressed in our Sunday best standing atop a earthen embankment
in a farm field in Pennsylvania on a saturday night, the first full moon
of the spring. As we gazed out at the fields we were thinking of a song
to sing, and course I thought a B&S song would we just be perfect, but as
usual, when one or more B&S fans get together no one can remember any
words. So Shilough and Shenadoah started singing "I am a Pilgrim". And we
made our way home and drank much red wine and lit candles and listened to
Leonard Cohen records.

But that was in the cool refreshing days of spring and now its hot and
sticky and I think that I was the person that a certain Matthew saw on
the sidewalk outside the Pulp concert in NYC a few nights ago. There's
the whole issue of wearing band tshirts to a concert, when one should be
dressing up and looking good, esp. for Pulp. But it was hot and sticky
and I had to drive a long way in rush hour traffic and was thinking that
comfort was more important than looking good. But then again, anybody
looks good in a B&S tshirt. Bought from a rather dodgy looking character
on the outskirts of Manchester. (Just kidding, I got it at Fopp on Byres
Road in Glasgow)

And to the person that talked to me outside before hand, who I can only
assume is on this list (she said she had seen B&S 5 times), sorry for
just sort of drifting off. I was trying to track down a few people and
was not quite myself (two pints and a Johnny Walker Black within the
space of an hour on an empty stomach)

And to the person that talked to me after the show, who is planning to
make...... nevermind. Was it just me or was your face sparkling?

Nice to meet you both, and maybe I'll meet Matthew someday. And Mr.
Cocker didn't notice the shirt even though I was in the front hanging on
to my <camp> friend, when I should have been in back complaining how they
weren't as good as the last time they came to NYC.

And one more thing....

A Sarah said.....
>....don't even know who the groove farm are, but a
>tenner they sound like the wonderstuff.

I found that quite amusing.

And another thing, Duke.....

Does your pal Kevin Pearce dig Belle and Sebastian?
I recently acquired Hurrah's Way Ahead lp and I quite enjoyed his
enthusiastic liner notes. I think he should write some for B+S.

Pure emotion...Pure expression...Soul...giving the impression of a
desperate need to communicate and touching upon the sense of struggle and
all the frustration and everything that tends to be part of trying to get
through

something like that

love
Carrick

.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?