Sinister: Singles, vinyl & crushes

Mick McMick mick at xxx.com
Sat Jun 20 20:55:28 BST 1998

duke of harringay wrote:
> than fun for far too bloody long imho. i think Pop records should be two
> sided slabs of 7" vinyl... using the cd format negates the thrill of
> flipping the disc over and playing the 'b-side'. it just becomes 'track 2',
> which is a great deal less interesting.

	Yes, that's agreed. I had a conversation with my grandfather yesterday
about how listening to a record was so much more enjoyable because of
the process which you must go through (i.e. sliding the record out of
its sleeve, placing the platter upon the turntable, brushing off the
dust (if you have a record brush. If you don't, you should), lifting the
tonearm and placing it onto the record. However, I am somewhat less
enthusiastic about LPs, as they're very large and if you broke one you
stand to lose a lot more songs that if you break a single. Somehow
having a feeble form of recorded music is less threatening when it only
contains a couple of songs. However, every time I listen to my copy of
Emma's House (the perfect argument for why singles should contain four
songs) I cringe and worry about all the little grooves deteriorating.
That's why I'm going to get a CD-R soon =)  But for everyday vinyl,
yeah, 45s are super fab.

> but if we must have cd singles, i am
> seduced by the idea of one song mini-cds, selling for the price of a packet
> of crips, or chips for our transatlantic cousins. then for all the great
> songs that timbo listed, we could just have more little mini-cd thingies,
> couldn't we? Now how cute would that be?

	As with anything cute, it's already being done in Japan. When I was in
Japantown in San Francisco (a wonderful place, you should all go there
at some point in time) in one of the stores they were selling said CD
singles. Of course, they weren't very cheap, really, but nothing there
was =)  However, can you listen to those in a normal stereo without an
adapter? Yeah, a little packet with two of those WOULD be really neat,
instead of a big clonky LP-length CD.

> PS: just out of interest, how many crushes per day is the average?

	When school is in session I can average a good 5-8 a day ;)  Of course
here in my hometown I rarely even see someone my age who is of the
opposite sex.

 /"\_/"\_/"\    Mick McMick - mick at indiepop.com - ICQ#5056758
 \         /    Sandcastle Records - sandcastlerecords at indiepop.com
  |       |     Sandcastle Homepage - http://indiepop.com/sandcastle/
  |       |
  |       |     "Everyone has their own cup of tea.
  |       |          Some just happen to like a lot of sugar in it!"
  |       |               - Me!
.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?