Sinister: On topic and darn proud

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Sat Jun 20 23:32:59 BST 1998

You know how a while back that someone was moaning over how Belle and
Sebastian only sold 20,000 copies of their last album in the states.  I
agree this is a tragedy, but was a bit surprised to learn that the average
major label release sells about 9,000 copies!  Yes, even stuff by Geffen's
label that they spent a million bucks trying to record and promote is
sitting on the $4.99 rack hoping to God that someone will buy it.  B&S's
songs barely scraped the airwaves except in a few college towns and yet,
with no big label support, they were able to do this much.  I am sad that
Matador is owned by Capitol now because I like true indie status and not
having to bow to major corporations, but hey, this is me we're talking
about.

Now, I'm going to moan about the radio again.  Why in the hell are they
releasing songs by people who all sound exactly the same?  I'm so tired of
driving home from work, turning on my radio and hearing Semisonic every
damn day.  They need to stop.  I'm already tired when I leave, so the last
thing I need to do is fall asleep behind the wheel.  I would consider Frank
Zappa more alternative than most bands I hear, but he's only played on
classic rock stations.

Also, i don't know if anyone else sees it the way I do, but why does
Galaxie 500 sound much better with the sound turned all the way up?  That
album i have is only OK if it's played at a normal level.

s.s.

.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?