Sinister: Singles, vinyl

John F. Monroe monroej at xxx.com
Sun Jun 21 05:33:25 BST 1998

(from duke, then mick... )

> but if we must have cd singles, i am
> seduced by the idea of one song mini-cds, selling for the price of a
packet
> of crips, or chips for our transatlantic cousins. then for all the great
> songs that timbo listed, we could just have more little mini-cd thingies,
> couldn't we? Now how cute would that be?

As with anything cute, it's already being done in Japan. When I was in
Japantown in San Francisco (a wonderful place, you should all go there
at some point in time) in one of the stores they were selling said CD
singles. Of course, they weren't very cheap, really, but nothing there
was =) However, can you listen to those in a normal stereo without an
adapter? Yeah, a little packet with two of those WOULD be really neat,
instead of a big clonky LP-length CD.

* hmmm, what are you referring to? 3" cd singles?
this reminds me of several cool tiny 3" cd singles.  the nicest being the
dayglo orange checkbook sized plastic package that contains two little
wonderful orange 3" cds by the fall ( jerusalem is the song, from the
kuriouis oranj lp ). i think that was the first UK 3" cd single, and
certainly the first multi-pack, in any case.

oher nice tiny cds are the primitvies 'crash' ( i think it had just the one
track, so there you go! very compact),  the jesus and may chain put out both
'blues from a gun' and 'head on' as 3" cds ( as well as 'sidewalking' but it
came in a regular cd single case, not a nice little package ), and the
sundays had 'can't be sure'.

also, quite a few SST ( minutemen, husker du, and das damen jump to my mind)
singles were originally released on 3" cds, before being re-issued in the
much more popular regular size, as were some oldies, such as a bunch of
beatles singles - in fact, someone had a whole website dedicated to the 3"
format.
i think pizzicato 5 have released a whole slew of them, also.

and, the ultimate use of tiny cds  are the 12 cd 'pills' for spiritualized
"ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space".  The 12 album tracks are on
12 individual  3" cds, in a foil-sealed palstic package, like pills in a
blister pack.

er, but none of these ever sold too cheaply...

.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?