Sinister: anwsers to unasked music questions

megan mkl206 at xxx.edu
Sun Jun 21 19:24:29 BST 1998

allright, *someone* has been mentioning some bands i'm quite fond of in
connection with belle and sebastian.  well, asking if they sound like them
anyway.  first off, i should say that i think no one sounds like belle and
sebastian.  though i know others who swear they sound like nick drake and
whatnot, and i can sorta see a similarity there, but not really.  so
basically, i don't think any of the bands mentioned sound like belle and
sebastian.

that said, i love the new trembling blue stars album.  my mom brought it
back for me from spain thinking it was a female singer i'd like (cause
there's a girl on the cover).  so i really had no idea what to expect and
mostly began listening to it because i was rather bored with the other
music i had and needed something new to listen too.  and i completely loved
it.  the songs were different than i expected, they didn't sound like sarah
records stuff, but more dancey maybe?  i dunno.  and the lyrics are lovely,
somehow it sounds as though the song is a conversation, maybe a monologue.
yes, it is about a lost girlfriend, and about getting over it.  and i think
that the songs sound very real.  not whiny, but the way someone feels after
a break up, that's messy and maybe mopey and confused.  and it all works,
and feels cathartic and then transcends it.  so it's nice stuff.

the tindersticks are one of those bands who sound like they write the songs
that drive a person to drink.  or write songs about what drives a person to
drink.  a lot of the songs have kind of a dance beat (is that bossa nova?
help me anyone who knows about latin dance) and there's a kind of beautiful
despiration that runs through the songs.  this is so frustrating, are there
ever words to describe music?

well, obvdiously i'm trying again.  just to mention that i also just
discovered the delgados.  after hearing the "pull the wires from the wall"
single i'm quite in love.  i'd never heard them before, perhaps because i
live halfway around the world from them and surprisingly, though everyone
on this list and all five of their pets seem to know this band, i can't
remember having heard anyone mention them before.  i guess that isn't much,
just a me too to the person who just discovered the delgados.

allright, i'll leave off my long windedness, as i assume that most of you
just scan through these anyway.  i don't blame you, i do the same thing.
don't actually read a lot of them.  honestly, we don't need eighteen
messages about what makes a single a single.  then again, i guess you don't
need 18 reviews of these particular bands either, but i consider myself
exempt from rules.  ;)

xox
megan
.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?