Sinister: Off topic and darn proud

Ian Turton buffalo at xxx.uk
Sun Jun 21 22:07:58 BST 1998

Suzanne Schroeder wrote:

> Also, i don't know if anyone else sees it the way I do, but why does
> Galaxie 500 sound much better with the sound turned all the way up?  That
> album i have is only OK if it's played at a normal level.

Wandering back along Chiswick High Street after having my haircut on Thursday,
I was listening to my new (but soon to be 'trusty') MiniDisc player. A few
Boymerang tracks, a few Randy Crawford tracks, Hopkirk and Lee E.P. then, tada,
two G500 tracks (Blue Thunder and Tell Me). And yep, I had to sate my urge to
shift the volume level from 25/30 to full tilt ahoy. And I have a theory about
it. Not a v. clever theory, I'll admit, but still. See, when I first listened
to G500, I naturally listened at 'normal' volume levels. And fell in love with
them. Having discovered that I could achieve a whole level new level of
immersion by playing the tracks at parent distressing levels, however, I do
find it difficult to go back to the old 'volume at half mast' scenario. And you
mention 'that' album. Presumably you me 'On Fire'; Suzanne ? If not ...

The main thing form me is that the end of Tell Me is still a leg wobbling,
throat lumpening, mouth drying triumphant epiphany to these ears. I suspect it
always will be. Especially if you ignore the health warnings.

Turt

.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?