Sinister: Gospel, Pulp, and a message for The Duke

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Mon Jun 22 19:49:54 BST 1998

> I hope they do "I am a Pilgrim" a la the Byrds.....

oh and was it paul who said they did the Byrds 'Turn Turn Turn'? of course
realising all along that it's not the byrds song at all, although that's
where we all know and love it from...

> A Sarah said.....
> >....don't even know who the groove farm are, but a
> >tenner they sound like the wonderstuff.
>
> I found that quite amusing.

but only quite amusing, since anything to do with the wonderstuff can only
ever be described as 'quite'... except when you're saying how bad they were,
when the words 'bloody immensely' spring to mind.

> And another thing, Duke.....
>
> Does your pal Kevin Pearce dig Belle and Sebastian?
> I recently acquired Hurrah's Way Ahead lp and I quite enjoyed his
> enthusiastic liner notes. I think he should write some for B+S.

yes Kevin does indeed write some magic sleeve notes. he did some for St
Etienne and the Felt compilation a long time back too. He makes reference to
that in one of his many fine articles for Tangents, incidentally. (plug
plug). As for B&S, he has been very quite on that front, so suspect that
they have left him largely cold. i sent him a tape many months ago and he
didn't say anything about it so he's probably taped over it with some
Pharoah Sanders or something. personally i think i should write the B&S
sleevenotes, but then i would say that wouldn't i?

> Pure emotion...Pure expression...Soul...giving the impression of a
> desperate need to communicate and touching upon the sense of struggle and
> all the frustration and everything that tends to be part of trying to get
> through

you see, it could be B&S he was talking about couldn't it? " it's all a part
of having/being IT!... do you know what i mean?... THAT which can never be
acquired but can be so easily lost..."

keep the faith,

the duke

.            Somos todos conejitos felices que tararean
.           consonancias felices del conejito - no somos?