Sinister: The Clapping song

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Fri Jun 26 21:04:51 BST 1998

> >B&S content. You'll be wondering what a friend of mine said when
> confronted
> >with the much discussed handclaps on Lazy Line Painter Jane:
> >"Fuckin' 'ell, the Glitter Band must be shittin' themselves!"

all this talk of Tangents, and guess what? in their rather delightful review
thingy of lazy line painter jane last year there are the words "it's those
Glitter Band handclaps". weird, or what?

> out to the pub. I am sure however he will rejoin the mailing list when he
> joins Boston.

i didn't know that Boston were still going, let alone hiring. what position,
i mean instrument is he going to be playing?

> >     Peter, yeah I was reading the Tangents site recently and have
> my fingers
> deeply crossed hoping to win the prize of the Dancing in the
> Street videos,
> however I spent ages on the question trying to work out if the Subway Sect
> did No Fun, however the result is I don't know - so my answer was
> the result
> of many minutes of amateur psychology on Mr.Fitchett, as to whether he was
> "trainspottery" enough to not count Iggy Pop as having sung it.  However,
> paradoxically, if, by a one in a million chance I win - you can keep the
> episode entitled "No Fun", cause I've already got that one.

you weren't going to win anyway :-) but for your amusing attempt to psych
the mind of the duke's evil alter ego you can have a copy of the first video
if you like. i ain't splitting the box set for no-one ;-) send us your snail
address keith and i'll sling it on the post to you. Episode one, which the
duches and i wathced last night actually, is magic. Sam Phillips and Ike
Turner are fucking mad in it, and hugely entertaining as a result. Ditto
Little Richard who is just off his trolley.

oh, and the answer to the question was/is, um, the subway sect i think. at
least i don't think they ever did it... but you could have answered iggy pop
and i would have saluted your pedantic qualities.

Peter made some comments about the Brett Ashley recordings, and then made a
fax pass by mixing up Brett Ashley with the narrator of the Hemingway
classic 'the Sun Also Rises'. Brett Ashley was the chick who gets off with
the bull fighter dude, as if you need reminding ;-) The book also has the
best last line in a book EVER, "isn't it pretty to think so." Magic. Oh and
yeah, i had to pay more than a fiver to that Fitchett bloke for that review,
i can tell you... i wonder how much Belle & Sebastian had to pay to get all
those glowing reviews?

nice to know someone reads the stuff anyway :-)

stay gold,

the duke.

Tangents On-Line http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/
PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK