Sinister: meaningless batter

Stephen Landamore stephenl at xxx.uk
Mon Jun 29 10:08:00 BST 1998

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:36:20 +0100 (BST)
From: "A.M. Horne" <amh20 at xxx.uk>
Subject: Re: Sinister: meaningless batter

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, rob b wrote:

espadrille wrote:
>> slowdive, eh? hmmm...
[...]
> well i've got the first album, and it's not that bad. i was just
> thinking of all that shoegazing stuff, and all the bands.. i think
> mark gardener out of ride was in select one month in the summer of 91
> listening to snatches of various songs and trying to identify the
> relevant bands (and i saw ride twice and they were crap both times).
> telescopes, moose, ride, chapterhouse (1 good song, and that was
> because of a zeppelin sample: saw them live as well, and - yes - they
> were crap too), slowdive, swervedriver, pale saints (not bad, and i
> can't wait for the all saints cover pale sainst tribute album) and
> various others i can't remember.

Oooh, this takes me back!!!

How about My Bloody Valentine (circa 'Loveless'), or possibly even some
early Boo Radleys? (Ichabod & I, Every Heaven ep, Boo up! ep). Maybe
even some early Lush?

I saw Slowdive play live, and they were actually very good. The support
bands were both pretty good as well! I also have a signed copy of 'Just
for a day', I wonder if this is worth anything now? (probably not, I
believe they did a lot of signings around this time). My green slowdive
t-shirt has almost faded to white now, not that I ever wear it
anymore... ah memories!

On the LOOP (not LOOPER not LOOMER!) debate, I bought 'Arc-lite' single
by Loop back in ooh 90 or 91, I recall someone say Loop were similar to
Spacemen 3 (who I was very much into, still am in fact). I listened to
it a bare handful of times & shelved it, can't really recall what it was
like. On a whim, a few months ago I bought 'Heaven's End', it was only 6
quid 2nd hand in Action Records I think, I still haven't listened to
it!!! Lots of other new stuff, y'see P!O!P children!

regards,
stephen