Sinister: RE: Roxanne Roxanne/ Arthur Arthur

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Sun Mar 1 10:29:33 GMT 1998

The bass player from The Wurzels wrote:

>Seems to me that the 'best' music from any decade is the stuff one likes
the
>most. Unless, of course, I don't like it, in which case it is objectively
>bad.

It's a fair cop. Except in this case. Because I'm not really familiar with
the music in question. At the time I was convinced that tinnily recorded
sixties pastiches were where it was at. And it may well have been. A
defining moment in my life was when a mumbling drunkard asked me if I was
the bass player with the Chesterfields.

>You fat clown.

Hopkins, that's like bumping into Digby the Biggest Dog in the World and
calling him a "big dog".

>You probably did dream it, but unfortunately your credibility is rescued by
>the fact that the lovely Real Roxanne seems to fit the bill...And yes, she
>did have somnething of a foul mouth as I remember, reserving her venom
>particularly for Roxanne Shante.

Thanks for helping to clear that one up. I'm a bit worried about my
credibility though. A few more Rod Stewart quotations should put paid to it
once and for all. Speaking of which, my reference to French police in a
recent message heading was, of course, a tribute to Rod, not an editorial
comment on Paul's guidance. Just to clear up any residual doubts I will say
it as clearly as possible:
I like Paul and appreciate the work he does for the list.

>Ah, hip hop slanging matches. Wouldn't it be good if Belle and Sebastian
got
>into a recorded slanging match with some of their contemporaries?

I don't know if I'm alone inn having ruined my eyes by trying to read the
very small sleeve notes to the Funkadelic "Music For Your Mother"
compilation, but one of the funniest bits in a very funny story is when
Funkadelic try to get a bit of rivalry going by dissing other funk bands.
Insults included "Earth, Wind and No Fire". Nobody took a blind bit of
notice. "Bloody sod yer then!" said Fuzzy Haskins.

To Mister Arthur Bergman:
Welcome to the list, Big Tackle. I hope you have a steadying influence on
some of the more immature list members, a bit like Howard Cunningham in
"Happy Days". Your daughter is a credit to you. I look forward to hearing
from you on the list

Peter