Sinister: Hopkirk & Lee

steve genge steve at xxx.uk
Sun Mar 1 23:09:17 GMT 1998

Well seeing as we're all holding our breath for new Belle & Sebastian
material I thought I'd suggest an alternative before we all go a funny
shade of blue.

This being the very wonderful Beneath The Apple Tree EP by Hopkirk &
Lee.  This was actually sold into us at work as being "the new Belle &
Sebastian" which if nothing else shows the level of fame B&S have now
achieved?

Only problem is you start thinking ahhhh Belle & Sebastian lite, ideal
when the real thing aren't around.  In the same way as Dylan Moran is
Eddie Izzard lite but I digress.

But no my fears were unfounded the four songs here, simple
understated arrangements & lush production show they've been listening
to the likes of Love, Buffalo Springfield  even a touch of Pale
Fountains & added that yearning introspection they obviously bottle
north of Carlisle (and you thought it was Irn Bru) Songs to make you
tingle like someone's whispering "I love you" in your ear, or maybe I
just need the loo?

Anyways, the CD is on Gallery records, comes in a crappy sleeve &
might make your waiting a teeny bit more bearable.

Anyone with more info on this mysterious duo would be greatly
appreciated.