Sinister: Is Stuart Murdoch a pooftahsexual?

Essexdog5 Essexdog5 at xxx.com
Tue Mar 3 01:06:44 GMT 1998

In a message dated 3/2/98  6:40:10PM, M9523138 at Queens-Belfast.AC.UK wrote:

<< A PREDICTION-   if b+s ever really REALLY become popular the
 main question every hack journalist on the planet will be asking
 is  not about the musical content but whether Stuart  Murdoch is
 a   "queer",Im  old enough to remember this happening to
 MORRISSEY and it really gets quite tedious. >>

You can't accuse the hacks of being tedious - it's a legitimate popster ploy
that the likes of Bolan, Bowie, Lou Reed (with some justification at least)
and, er, Boy George played well before La Mozzarella.

As a gay adolescent I certainly hunted for any 'clues' that, yes, "my god,
could it be? someone I admire is a bit like me!" - Teen queers need role
models, but ambiguity works just as well. Stuart will be just that role model
for a few 'kids', if only for Seeing Other People alone.

I interviewed Dickon from Orlando a year or so ago and he was playing the same
"am I/aren't I? Well, I really don't know...." game and, although it was
frustrating at the time (as in one wanted to slap him and shout "Morrissey was
SO last season!"), there's a legitimate benefit from doing so, on both sides
of the fence. Without wishing to quote the hackney-ed old Manics thing of "All
rock and roll is homosexual", or quoting Nirvana sleeve notes (both of which
I've just done to a degree), "queer" is an ANGLE. Considering that most pop
stars are as dull as Dion in an interview scenario, the "I once saw a bloke
and thought yeah, maybe" line is headline news (witness recent headlines to
that effect about Robbie Williams and Chris "yeah, right!" Evans").

If B&S want to dispel such aspertions, all they have to do is deny them. But
they won't. And why should they. It's a LARF, innit? EH??!

Stephen.

PS I really admire and respect Madonna for the way she's got where she is
today.