Sinister: Roald Dahl [non-B&S]

Rod Begbie rod at xxx.com
Tue Mar 3 12:50:26 GMT 1998

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Buick1967 wrote:

> Roald Dahl is a fantastic writer

I could not agree more.  While I have read some of his adult work, I feel
that his forte was the incredible childrens books he wrote.  He was one of
few authors who understood what makes children tick.  For example, the
running trend of the "David v. Goliath" stories (Charlie vs. Other Kids,
the animals vs. The Twits, Matilda vs. her parents), plus the wonderful
"Whizzpopper" sequence from The BFG.

When I was doing my Higher English at school, I wanted to do my "Review of
Personal Reading" on Charlie & The Chocolate Factory (examining the
intentions of the author with respect to childrens behaviour), but my
English teacher wouldn't let me, saying it wasn't suitable.  So I did it
on the play "Gasping" by Ben Elton, taking great care to quote excerpts
with foul language in them.

I got a better mark for my Higher English than I did for Computing, yet I
ended up on a CompSci course.  Make of that what you will.

Rod.

                                    Rod Begbie @ http://www.begbie.com |