Sinister: RE:Stephin Merrit and his various projects

Matthew Neimark mneimark at xxx.com
Tue Mar 3 15:46:11 GMT 1998

First of all, the B&S and Magnetic Fields connection:

I saw Claudia after the B&S show and she didn't seem to be too thrilled
with me after I joked about pirating Tigermilk (despite the fact I had
given her a free copy of Candy Factory after their first FBH show in
Boston -- she didn't remember who the hell I was).

She did tell me two things.

1) She loves B&S but Stephin doesn't really like them much.  Hmmf.  To
each their own I suppose.  Seems he thinks they are just a standard
folk-pop band and doesn't see what is so special about them.  Probably
hasn't listened enough to them.

2) Although Chris Ewen composes the general synthesizer-type melody
backgrounds of the songs in FBH, Stephin Merrit still writes the vocal
melodies which are probably what dominates the "sound" in a way,
especially in hits like "lonely Days"