Sinister: Intro/ Living the songs project: Dream of Horses

Nick Dastoor nickdastoor at xxx.com
Thu Mar 5 11:02:30 GMT 1998

---Martin Conneely  wrote:

> 1.  My first message (after a few weeks lurking).
> Somebody complained about new mailers praising B&S.  I've been
musically
> conscious
> since before the Beatles (hibernating a lot  it in recent years) ,
and IYFS is
> one of the greatest
> refreshers for tired ears and brains of its time, up there with
Astral Weeks,
> Stormbringer, After the Goldrush,
> Hissing of Summer Lawns.  And what's wrong with starting off on that
foot?

Nothing at all.  Hoorah for Martin and Amanda's dad.  I think there
must be some self-loathing in me, because I think the only age group I
don't get excited about being fanatical about Belle & Sebastian is my
own (mid-20's, used to be into the Smiths). The young and the old are
much better.   I have no idea what Stormbringer is, but I'm sure it
rocks like a beast.  There used to be a bearded Maths teacher at
school who'd lost interest in rock since Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin et
al.  The only modern band he liked was The Smiths.  I felt vindicated.

Thinking about it, maths teachers had quite an effect on my musically
formative years  There was another one called Mr Jenkins who was a bit
of a an in-with-the-kids type.  He had a PhD in Music too, and claimed
to like pop music. But one day we had a heated argument about the
merits of pop vs. classical and he said that in thirty years I
wouldn't be very interested in pop and certainly not the records I
liked when I was fourteen (The Smiths etc.).  Ten years on, I'm still
digging my heels in.

And then there was _another_ maths teacher who was actually the deputy
head, who told me as I left school that lots of people like me who
give the impression of wanting to be remembered for their art end up
going into accountancy.  I think he meant it in a wistful, encouraging
way, but I didn't take it too kindly.  He's probably right, I realise
now.  If you're not actually any artist of any sort then one job's
probably no more intrinsically heinous than another.  It's just that
some are paid better.  And I suppose with some you get to work with
nicer people than others.  And some are moral.  But other that that
kids, don't follow in my stubborn footsteps -  become accountants.
Don't be afraid.

I enjoyed your horse tale, Martin.  But God doesn't smile upon those
after a quick buck.  In fact he drops delibarate red herrings to make
them  look foolish.  The devil is a better bet for gambling tips.  A
horse called "Fashion Victim" ran at a meeting hours after Versace was
shot.  It came in first at 20-1.

Does your son like Belle & Sebastian?

Nick