Sinister: Telstar

Nick Dastoor nickdastoor at xxx.com
Thu Mar 5 11:23:04 GMT 1998

> My copy of Telstar (b/w "Jungle Fever"!) came out in 1962, which
would have made me 6 years old at the time.

More old folk - triple hurrah!

All this Telstar talk has inpsired me to do a silly thing and make a
list of all the "That song sounds just like that" comments I can
recall or have come up with myself. So:

Mayfly...'Telstar' - The Tornados

Dog on wheels...'Alone again or' - Love

Seeing other people... Peanuts theme by whoever

Lazy line painter Jane... 'I can't stand it' - Velvet Underground
(the intro, anyway - listen to it)

Slow graffiti... 'The laughing gnome' - David Bowie

The stars of track and field...'Shangri-La' - The Kinks

The Boy done wrong again...'Pink moon' - Nick Drake (well he had to go
somewhere)

Hmmm.. haven't quite completed the Donovan Lovedrake triangle.  Can
anyone suggest a plausible Donovan song? Or any other daft
comparisons?  I think someone once came up with one for 'Le Pastie.."
that I really couldn't see myself, but I've forgotten it.

Sudden thought: people might get angry with me for doing this.  Please
understand that I mean no harm, am rarely seen sporting a cagoul, and
don't think for one minute that Belle & Sebastian are shameless
plagiarists who need exposing.  This is my new defence against flaming
- come over so wet in the original post that that the flames can't
catch.

Nick