Sinister: Intro/ Living the songs project: Dream of Horses

Martin Conneely Martin_Conneely at finance.irlgov.ie
Thu Mar 5 14:19:58 GMT 1998

Nick Dastor wrote

"Hoorah for Martin and Amanda's dad..... The young and the old are
much better."   He also spotted a mesage from David Moore:
"My copy of Telstar (b/w "Jungle Fever"!) came out in 1962, which would have
made me 6 years old at the time..
12 year old son and to really enjoy B & S gigs with my 19 year old daughter."
and remarked

"More old folk - triple hurrah!"

It's good that the list is expanding so rapidly because with people as old as
us three (and there may be more?), the mortality rate will be enormous!  And if
somebody of 50 joined the list, how would Nick describe them, since we're "old"?

Nick also wrote:
"I have no idea what Stormbringer is, but I'm sure it
rocks like a beast.  There used to be a bearded Maths teacher at
school who'd lost interest in rock since Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin et
al.  The only modern band he liked was The Smiths."

Stormbringer was a very gentle album by John and Beverly Martyn (Scottish?).
It  came out c. 1969 and  has a B&S-type tone (some of them are bound to know
it).  John Martyn has made tons of albums since but I never cared much for his
solo efforts.  Anybody know what happened to  Beverly?  The Smiths opened my
eyes, too, but in terms of certain songs and overall sound rather than a
particular album.

Nick also wrote:
"I enjoyed your horse tale, Martin.  But God doesn't smile upon those
after a quick buck."

It's back to Bible studies for some.  What about the parable of the "talents"?

Finally
"Does your son like Belle & Sebastian?"

He's 7 and I'm afraid Christmas carols are more his cup of tea.  He also sings
a version of "My Lovely Horse" from "Father Ted" (pity about the death of Fr
Ted/Dermot Morgan).  But I wouldn't encourage him.  After all, Mr Murdoch
sings;  "Could I write a requiem for you 'n' your Dad?"  As far as I know,
requiems follow death and there may be a subliminal message there to children
to commit parricide, then suicide.  Amanda's Dad and David Moore better watch
out, too.  I know that some will say it's actually "Could I write a requiem for
you when you're dead" because that's in the Official Website Lyric Sheet, but
that's not what he sings.

Martin C